Friday, June 30, 2006

World Cup Fever

Everyone's on about it now, and I'm just waiting for the semis where I actually WILL be able to watch something on telly in the comfort of my own home. Yeah, I'm one of those sad ones who doesn't have SCV. Ha ha.

Oh, but it reminded me of this throw-in article I read recently. Have you encountered projectile motion before? We were taught that the maximum range of a projectile occurs when the object is projected at an angle of 45 degrees above the horizontal.

In real life, however, it doesn't happen quite that way, because when a player does a throw-in (for those who are clueless, that's what happens when the ball goes out of play), the body muscles and posture come into play. Apparently you get better range at 30 degrees. Read it here! (although you can't get access to the full article for free...)

And while we all lament on the loss of Argentina, have a laugh at Neil Humphrey's article on Weekend Today, Singapore here.

I had a good laugh, but I still won't deny a soft spot for England. Ha ha.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joel said...

hmm.. can u even get a 30 deg throw? usually the angle of a throw in seems to be downwards.. as in an arc..

5:44 PM  
Blogger Female Fizzicist said...

Ha ha ha!

*snigger*

France vs Italy in the end!

P.S.: I didn't know you could post such long comments!

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home