Tuesday, April 11, 2006

I'm Back!

Really, I've been back for a jolly long while, but I haven't quite got down to writing this because I had wanted to include an entry on my visit to universities in the US. Problem with that was that I had wanted to include photos too, but I'm in the midst of reformatting my notebook, so I've quite a few things in hand to do.

So there, photos another day ok?

Anyway, the trip was good, and I spent a while at Boston taking a good break and waiting for the next visitation weekend at Stanford. While I'm at it, I might as well say I've accepted my place at Stanford, so I'm kind of officially a student again! Yay! I like learning new things, but somehow at work it seems to be a lot more stifling, so I'm looking forward to being a student again. Yeah, I guess some of you shake your head in shame and think that I'm some cranky scientist. Scientist, maybe yes, almost there, but not really cranky. Well, yet at least. Anyway crankiness is quite subjective.

Oh yes, so back to Boston. I spent a large deal of my time at the Harvard Coop, which most people pronounce as Co-op. But then at Harvard it's called "coop" as in pronounced like "coup". Ha ha, I found it funny, and still called it co-op. I don't study at Harvard anyway! But anyway, back to Coop. I was reading this book called Generation Me by Dr Jean M. Twenge, which talks about the new generation Americans. Americans yes, but perhaps they are the pioneer batch of a new age of teens.

I don't agree with all that she has written, but I guess that's because I'm not too used to the way Americans work, so if you asked me about the new Singapore generation, I might be able to speak better, since I'll be able to add somethings from my own perspective, especially since I'm one of the "generation me" (defined as those born after 1975 I think). Which reminds me, I think the Straits Times did some special report on the new 5 Cs of Singaporeans. I hope I kept the article with me, and that it's not lost somewhere coz I'm reformatting my notebook. Anyway, if you want it, tell me, I'll fish it out. Leave a comment or something.

I digree. Back to the book: I remembered this bit about her saying how the new generation seems to be looking for their job to provide a certain sense of satisfaction, which the older generation didn't. You know how the newer generation have plenty more opportunities and have been told to pursue their interest and dreams? Yeah, they come out wanting a job to fit their passions, almost exactly. And they also want to ace through it faster. They dream a bit much more, and don't quite keep grounded the same way. Sigh, I don't do her phrasing in her book any justice - should have copied it down! Anyway, I hope you get my drift.

So it got me thinking. Well, it was something I have been thinking for a while anyway. Maybe we (the younger people) have placed more expectations on our jobs than what they can really offer. Then we only come out more disgruntled and dissatisfied. Now there, being disgruntled isn't necessarily a bad thing, since it pushes one to try to improve the system. But sometimes it fumbles one more than it spurs.

Someone told me that to work in the civil service you've got to be a bit idealistic. I hope I remember what she said correctly. But I think that's true in anycase. We've got to learn to dream a bit, dream bigger than what we can take for a while, so we've a vision to look to, and a dream to make this world a bit better.

But to achieve those dreams, you've got to work hard and toil on occasions. Thankfully there are those short bursts of uplifting moments.

Just remember, if you can read this you probably are already a lot more privileged than many in this world, and you probably have the capacity to make a difference (regardless how small). I hope you take the opportunity to.

More on that another time. This entry's too long!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home