Friday, March 17, 2006

Blog Marketing

I saw a book off the shelf at TIMES bookstore called "Blog Marketing" and it caught my interest because I had done a project which related to blogging a while back. We were proposing using blogs to promote science in Singapore but I never quite knew how big a trend it was, or what an impact it was going to have.

I texted someone about the book - he was my mentor for this particular project I had to get done, and he provided plenty of insight regarding the matter then. He replied to me about another book he was reading called "Naked Conversations", another book on blog marketing. In fact he sent me lots more information over email which I have yet to digest.

In fact, so prevalent are blogs that many companies use them now. I've seen them all over the place in the scientific arena. I had a look at those posted by New Scientist magazine (www.newscientist.co.uk), very interesting short articles in a unique blog-journalist format. And also very frequently updated.

I remember once having a conversation with a friend where we were trying to decipher exactly why blogs were so popular, and how different they were from frequently updated websites. We never quite finalised on the answers, but I'm still looking! So comment if you have any!

Another one of the marketing tools that has taken off is podcasting. Nature does it (www.nature.com), and so does New Scientist. NASA does it too (http://science.nasa.gov), although I've yet to listen to them. I think Straits Times has got some podcasts as well, I've heard one on teenage suicide recently.

There's a wealth of information out there, which is great, but also that means less filtering and less quality control.

Oh well, can't have your cake and eat it too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home